History of Ærø

Ærøbo are not the same from location to location. There are significant cultural and linguistic differences. This helps to make the Aero for a varied and exciting place. Interest scenically island offers great variations, and above all, the island remained an island.

As long as the climate has allowed settlement in these latitudes, has been inhabited by humans on Aero. Some of the earliest traces of people in this country is found on the island. As the ice age huge ice crept away from the country, and it hugged landscape could begin to stretch out and breathe freely again, got the life-giving sun gradually nursed the surface so much that a meek vegetation could germinate. This vegetation was just the thing for reindeer. These attracted the course again reindeer hunters.

Badebroen i modlys Stranden m skrænt og sten

Back then – for more than 11,000 years ago – roamed thus a horde hunters around here in the neighborhood, and as proof of their presence and as a salute to a later time, these people seeks a repository of arrowheads. Later generations have unearthed these – and found is located today at Marstal Maritime Museum and testify that the island has been the setting for human life through the millennia.

A dozen mounds around the island tells us the same. When this is added that these stone tombs just a tiny sample of at least 250 Ærø burial mounds were found, this is a message that the island has always been a relatively densely populated locality. Another visible sign of activity is the island’s violent places. These fortifications, some built in 1100-century, was built for defense against the Wends, who operated from their home region, the German coast. Wends, who also himself was pushed south from, conducted raids especially in the southern part of the kingdom with such tenacity that many own hoarded deserted. The residents were plundered, fire treasured and culled for food if they questioned their rule. Many were taken as slaves, and cities were burned. Few places magtede Mon proper resistance.

Some places struck Venders down and stayed on what different place names suggest. Here at Aero believed that Vindeballe brought by these intrusive settlers. A few years after the castle Arkona on Rügen, where the god Svante Vits temple was located, had fallen by Valdemar the Great and Bishop Absalon’s victorious expedition 1167, attacks Venders repeatedly Southern Denmark. At that time, Aero, however, mounds at Søbygaard, and from a later date, the first half of 1300-century, the vast now totally obliterated castle at Gråsten Nor Down Staircase Forest and at one third normal, namely Stokkeby Nor, there was also a fortification . Aero was quite exposed and therefore had to be sealed. This fact meant that the Crown engaged in this place, and from this time it is likely that the majority of Aero became the king’s private estate.

The Aero or major parts of the king was privately got an appreciable effect on the island. The king could in fact freely dispose of such sites. He could, for example. bestow pieces of privately owned away pieces of land could be inherited by various relatives, etc. unlike crown goods that belonged to the then-incumbent king. There was thus able to juggle with Aero – and the option was exercised. Already a dozen years after Svante Vits omhugning got a friend of Waldemar a good chunk of the island, though only for a shorter period, as the former friends towered unclear. More prolonged the transition to the Brandenburg margrave, where the island went with the dowry 1232nd Brandenburg are brought cities in their districts and are probably the ones who brought Ærøskøbing in mid 1200-century.

The city’s layout is similar to the cities, as Brandenburgers also brought in Northern Germany. Brandenburg Time ended when Laurids Jonsen – one of the king’s knights – got the island 1315, and from 1331, when Count Gert took over the island, and until 1864 was Ærø most of the time during the duchies – first under the dukes and later under the royal part of the duchies . There is enough here need to mention that this was tantamount to Aero were under Danish flag all the time. The island has never been under German flag, nor after 1864, when our neighboring island of Als was taken over by the Germans.

Aero was continued under various masters, and it would be too extensive to mention the whole flock. One thing, however, had far-reaching consequences for the island’s development was the 1634 division into four parts which later turned into a three-division, which drew long wake behind her. The most noticeable changes to the island after decomposition for three different lines duke was Ærøskøbing handelsmonopols collapse, although the island’s town had been promised that the privilege should continue. East end and west part of the island now had the opportunity to participate in trade and shipping.

It was first and foremost Marstal that exploited the opportunity. Here on the island’s eastern end, sheltered by Eric Hale lived a considerable fishing population in a natural harbor with naturally ran to the Baltic Sea. The duke, who had gotten this part of the island, let the tenant of his farm, God’s gift, sell agricultural products to Marstal fishermen. Trading took place at the beginning of the site’s own products that you sold partly in the kingdom and in the duchies, which had easy access through a race to the Baltic Sea that has been medårsag to the city’s appearance. This race is still of great importance and in step with the times trend towards larger ships that are over now elaborated.

The highly active Marstal players, however, was often at odds with the law. First, it was all trading course rightfully go to the privileged towns, and it was necessary to operate clandestinely trading. In the first place, so it was easy to bypass towns, often by virtue of their monopolies were expensive to trade. The peasants were obviously willing to violate these provisions, which were financially disadvantageous for them. Consequently grumbled not only Ærø borough, but also other cities over Marstall trade, so send at a time all the Lolland-Falster towns complain about these presumptuous skippers.

The effects were also noticeable, Marstal fleet grew explosively, and along with it fell other cities tonnage. What smuggled trade is concerned, yes you were really beaten to resort to this if you wanted to carry on trade and shipping. During these years, namely Aero in this respect a stepchild. This was due to Ærøskibene were considered as belonging to the kingdom, when they came to the duchies, and vice versa in the kingdom they were considered duchy ships, and this is being done in customs and port tax purposes. This means that the domestic services they stood far worse off than the Dutch, who had contracted to sail on equal footing with Danish ships. Should they comply with laws and regulations, they had in other words no livelihood. Therefore it is quite natural that sly trade was a recognized and accepted way of life! These injustices were only overturned in 1729 on the ends of the island, as Søbygaard and God’s Gift County then passed to the king, while the middle part of the island first joined in 1750. Here utilized Marstal formulas again the privileged position they had to be recognized as a craft in the kingdom a dozen years before the island’s market town ships could sail under the same conditions.

1750 as Aero considerably different than today. The farms were grouped in villages which from time immemorial, and the ground was driven by old-fashioned inappropriate methods could not live up to what was otherwise performed in agricultural purposes throughout the kingdom. The island’s peasants was also been severely depleted during the Swedish war of 1658-59, where Swedish occupation forces had exploited and plundered in the most egregious. It was a disaster as it took many years to get over. At that time, most of the old Ærø forest cut down, even in the densely wooded God’s Gift district, but what was left, including a forest on Vejsnaes, attacked the Swedes about to burn. Lumber from the buildings they used too uninhibited for the purpose, so it was a ruined landscape they left behind. Hove Riet repealed 
 A large part of agricultural land, namely 1750 acres, was driven by the four estates through hoveripligt. In the 1750s the Government began to dispose of these entities.

At Aero became estates divides up into small plots, except for a few large farms. These plots could be rented by local people, in the sense that they were sold at an annual fee – a form of repayment. 1767 was the estates Gråsten and Voderup closed and sold, and the farms demolished. That same year, the gift of God burned, and the earth were parceled out the 1768th 1772 followed finally Søbygaard with.

Co-led agrarian reforms with the redeployment of agriculture, many farms moved out and the new arrangements allowed the island to feed a larger population. By a declaration dated 10 January 1787 the king gave all the island’s tenant farms to the hilt as free property! The favorable environment for trade and shipping towards the turn of the century led growth, especially Marstal and Ærøskøbing, both expanded their fleets. Ærøskøbing was mentioned brought by Brandenburgers with square and church in the city center. The city received over the years built beautiful houses including to the city’s more affluent merchants and to the officials. The island’s official position was to a large extent located in the island town. The beautiful solid and incredibly well-preserved houses from that time has been allowed to survive, and many of them are preserved today.

Unusual was the town plan, or rather the lack thereof in the rapidly expanding sailor society on the island’s eastern end. The port, which is the basis for a society of seafarers here, was and is the center of town. The harbor, protected by true repentance and grounds were still at the end of the 1700s sufficient in size as it was served by nature, and you let it take care of themselves. But the number of residents ships grew and the need to improve port facilities were important to them, and 1825, work was undertaken to repair natural harbor. Through a tremendous volunteer sailors behaved in the following years, an impressive stone pier to further protect the harbor and the harbor was expanded with wharves and quays on the landward side. The town houses were built along the footpaths and streets leading up from the harbor jetties. As the town grew, was brought transverse ring roads around the city. The city’s cramped conditions meant that the houses were often placed pell-mell. There is no worthy individual houses but Marstal distinguished by its colorful, uncivilized, colorful charm.

In maritime terms, stood Aero strong. Around 1850, the island’s merchant fleet on its feet again after the slack years after the Napoleonic Wars. 1864 The war caused a reversal of the portion of the island’s shipping, which was employed in the Baltic region. 1864 was the ancient links with the Duchies and Jutland severed. The island was finally a permanent part of the Kingdom again, and the Duchies was abroad. The extensive shipping in the Baltic seabed under this a crack. This is clipped, however, not the island’s shipping. On the contrary, his eyes now directed outward to larger ships procured, and the schooner’s currently out on the seven seas grip on himself. 
 
 The hunt, the little etmastede chubby vessel up to now had been almost autocratic, was gradually replaced by tomas appointed schooners and brig, and hunts themselves were extended and became omtaklet to ketch, tomas appointed ships. From 1880 they went one step further and focused on three-masted ships. Barkentinere was put into the Americas pace, and the characteristic marstalske hunting-built hull was frequent visitor to world ports. Yard after yard was built so that at one time was eight of them, alone in Marstal.

In Ærøskøbing fleet was culminated in 1850 with about 90 ships, and in 1890 culminated Marstal fleet with a number of some 340 sailing ships. There were speed and optimism lasted until with a crash was crushed by World War I, which cut 53 sailors and 42 ships from Marstal. Between The Wars was a constant struggle to survive. Sailing ships were driven from place after place. Only the risky Newfoundland Ferry was too inhospitable and uneconomical for the impetuous steam ships – yet. It sailed a large part of three-and tomas appointed schooners with fiskeladninger from the sprawling Labrador coast and Newfoundland. The small schooners and their crews were better known here than the country they came from. Many of the over 100 Marstalskonnerter that in the period from the turn of the century until the early 1930s braved the North Atlantic waves for longer or shorter periods, sea robbery. Nature’s harvest in sailor stand was only the little things that count against what man can do. Second World War, over 80 of the island seafarers mainly from Marstal and environs.

Despite these harsh attacks instead manages to continue to assert itself in maritime contexts. More than one fifth of the Danish coaster fleet is currently based in Marstal. One of the country’s two navigation schools are in Marstal as one of the pillars of society sailor and maritime culture’s continued existence, which is so vital to the entire Ærø continued development.

(Source: Erik Kromann)

Aero 2011:
Marstal is the island’s largest trading and seafaring town with many shops and a navigation school, which for more than a hundred years has trained navigators for the Danish merchant fleet. Shipping is still an important part of the city’s business community with the largest coaster fleet (about 50 cargo ships). There are several shipping companies, timber and steel yards, boat docks for charterskonnerter, fishing, ferry port with ferry connections to Rudkøbing and connections to Birkholm

Marstal District since 1996 and until 2001 was known for having the world’s largest thermal solar plant. The sun was only 15% of supply, while the remaining supply was based on oil. The plant was in December 2002 widened by an additional 10,000 m2 of solar panels and has thus regained its longstanding position as the world’s largest solar plant for heat and the sun now stands for 30% of supply.

The port
Marstal Navigation School began teaching sailors in 1860. The school has approx. 150 pupils are taught the following katogorier:
The training of navigators for the merchant – ie. skippers and captains. HF-shipping, which is an upper that combines a basic maritime training with a HF education.
Baltic Idrætsefterskole is a free school for young people at 10th vintage with close links to high school idea. There are 62 students in three 10th classes. Students are taught in Danish, mathematics, English, physics and German at the FS-10 level and in line subjects windsurfing, sailing, soccer, handball, volleyball and water sports.
VUC FYN Aero. At VUC in Marstal, which is housed in new buildings, it is possible to read a full 2-year Hf. Besides the compulsory subjects, there is a large and varied range of electives from C to A-level such as mathematics, chemistry, English, economics and more. Moreover, VUC the special maritime HF in cooperation with Marstal Navigation School. VUC is, its name notwithstanding, is primarily a secondary education institution with approx. 200 students.

Tourism:

Bathhouse at Erik’s tail at Marstal
Along the harbor is a charming environment with coasters, boats and a large marina. Pier with the old lime kiln provide shelter from the east wind, built for the purpose of skippers and peasants in 1825. There are many restaurants and cafes in the quaint streets and alleyways. Furthermore, there Marstal Maritime Museum with many relics from Marstal city and its søfartsliv. There is camping, hostels and hotels. You can visit the beach (south of town) on Erik’s tail with its picturesque beach huts.


Famous townsmen

Carsten Jensen, author. Has written the novel “We, the Drowned” (2006) on the city.
Erik Kromann (1946 -) Curator at Marstal Maritime Museum, author, politician, instrumental in several television programs


Ærøskøbing

Ærøskøbing is a town on the Aero with 974 inhabitants (2010) [1] while the parish town of Ærøskøbing Parish. The city is headquarters for Aero Municipality as part of Southern Denmark. Ærøskøbing harbor is sheltered behind Dejrø and Urehoved.
Ærøskøbing Hospital has a medical / surgical department that takes care of a number of basic tasks for Ærø population. If there is a need for more specialized work refer patients for treatment in other departments of the Funen hospital. The town’s medical clinic is located at the hospital, allowing for close collaboration between hospital and GPs. The city has few industries, but many service and and craft firms.
2003 was 13% occupied with agriculture and fisheries, 16% of trades and industry, 24% trade and transport and 47% with administration and service.,

Ærøskøbing Church was built 1756-58 and replaced an old medieval church.
Ærøskøbing was probably brought son village between 1235 and 1320 as Aero belonged to Mark Counts of Brandenburg. The official provided the year of the city’s founding is 1250, among others on the basis of the church’s baptismal font.
1522 the town was reserved to the entire island’s commerce, but had difficulty enforcing its privileges because of competition from the island’s many illegal ports.
1634 the city lost its trade monopoly, but received in return a comprehensive trade and shipping with both Duchies, the Baltic Sea port cities and Norway.
Ærøskøbing was probably borough under King Christian 1 during the period between 1448-76. The proximity of a natural harbor was the reason that shipping and commerce were the occupations they lived apart from agriculture in the hinterland.
On 22 April 1629 a major fire broke out in Ærøskøbing, it took 44 farms and houses destroyed, including the town hall. Therefore, there are no houses left from Ærøskøbing early times. In 1665 certain duke, older houses may retain their thatched roofs, but that all new houses have tile roofs. A well on the square in the middle of town, was built after the fire, this was with 2 other wells, the city’s public water supply until 1952.
1702 it was forbidden to use the street to the midden area and imposed on citizens to pave the streets and once a week to clean the streets.
In 1634 was Ærøskøbing hinterland narrowed to include only a portion of the island, but the city got in return a flourishing maritime with considerable trade with both Duchies, Baltic Cities and Norway.
In the 1700s, was Ærøskøbing-sailing ships known far and wide. After the Aero came back to Denmark
1864, was the city’s heyday as a maritime center in decline, and the population began to decline.
In 1900-the figure was created some smaller companies and industrial companies. In recent times, tourism is the city’s main source of income, while the industrial development stagnates.

Chronology

1629 burned the town hall and 1634 gave Duke Philip the city a reason in the middle of the square and a new town hall was built. 1778 was the same reason, built a new town hall, which was dismantled The 1863rd

1750 was approx. 50 vessels based in Ærøskøbing port and one focussed with Norway and the Duchies.
1778 Ærøskøbing is “a little town on the island of Aero,” which falls under the Duchy of Schleswig. Have a good port, covered with the one opposite-lying small island Dejrø. The church, which is two priests are under the bishop of Funen. Magistracy consists of 1 Mayor and 2 aldermen, one of which is rådstueskriver. Source: Hans Holk: Provincial-Lexicon of Denmark’s land.
1855 commit large grocery C.C. Hinrichsen (from Ærøskøbing) fraud and bankruptcy, and 40 of Ærø most respectable citizens swept away in the fall
1892 Inauguration Ærøskøbing Hospital
1931 built a ferry and marina, and the city had a chance to unload wagons, which were then shipped to Svendborg.
1966 Ærøskøbing lost its municipal rights
2000 celebrated the city’s 750 anniversary. In 2002 sheep Ærøskøbing Europa Nostra Prize for conservation of cultural heritage.

Personalities:
Poet Pastor Donald Arrebo born in Ærøskøbing in 1587

Tourism:
The island’s local historical museum, Aero Museum, Brogade 3-5 contains collections from the market town, sea and rural environments – including a collection of folketøj and toys. In the garden behind the museum is a borough having from approx. 1920 restored.
There are many cafes and restaurants, marina, beach, camping, hotels, guesthouses and hostels.

Boiling house from 1810 on the pier functioned in ancient times as boiling point for sailing ships in port, then open fire on board the wooden vessels could not take place. 1850 had it mounted a fyrhul that showed the vessels to Ærøskøbing Harbour. Around 1860 ceased boiling house as madkogningssted. From 2001 used the renovated “cooking house” of visiting yachtsmen who now have the chance to stand indoors in dry weather and cook supper.
North Beach, Urehoved has a good beach and paralelt with it there are a number of small colorful houses. The houses owned by individuals and are passed down from generation to generation.
Hammerichshus was the sculptor Gunnar Hammerich home in a well-preserved 1,700-century house with a collection of antiques and Dutch tiles. In the basement of city hall is a collection of Hammerich busts in plaster. Gunnar Hammerich has also lived in Vestergade No. 44, which today is preserved and serves as a guesthouse.

The town’s former poorhouse houses Bottle Peters collection. Peter Jacobsen (1873-1960) continued to build ships in bottles until his death. It was more a bottle of 1,700 ships and 50 large model ships. The collections also include the Hans Christian Pedersen’s fine woodcarvings and a newly establishment of D / S ÆRØ’s office from Ærøskøbing harbor with many ferry paintings by marine painter Hans Schøsler-Pedersen.
Ærøskøbing Bymølle is an original Dutch windmill from 1848. The mill was in operation to 1957. From mill hill overlooks the city and the open countryside.
Notice the porcelain cats in the windows, was used as a love signal in the old days. If the cat in the window looked inward, it was a sign to her lover that the man had come home from sea.
 
House in Ærøskøbing from the end of the 1600s. Søbygård

Mohammed on Aero?
Muslims visited Aero already in the Viking Age, reveals the discovery of important international trading center on a field near the island’s south coast. A sensational discovery of, among other Arab silver coins and coins of Charlemagne’s Frankish Empire. Commerce Square from the Viking Age was at that time the largest international trade route and reveals that there were Muslims on Aero already in the Viking Age. 
 
 Ærøboen Steen Agersø found by chance 46 Arab dirrhemer and ten Frankish coins with his metal detector on the field. Alone latter increased the total amount of Frankish coins found at home by 25 percent – and from a single place. 
 
 – The first coins I found because I was cold and wanted to get my jacket in the car. As I crossed over the field, I let the detector search, and then suddenly something happened, says Steen Agersø subsequently withdrew his permanent companion Poul Andersen in the search. The two have found more than 300 objects in total. 
 
 The director Ole Green from Langeland Museum chose to stay found secret to avoid that the field was haunted that uninvited amateur archaeologists, and the last week’s exploration of the old market place shows that it was a good idea. 
 
 – Yesterday, we found such a very nice little metal-head with silver coating, and recently a bronze fibel says Ole Green.
The finds date from the early Viking period and consists besides the coins of large amounts of “bride silver” to act with metal droplets from molding, ornamented weights of lead, and much more. Except for the recent findings are anything to registration at the National Museum’s treasure trove Department. 
 
 A few hundred meters west of the commercial space, the museum has previously excavated fortifications Sct. Alberts Orchestra, and with the new findings provide the location of the ramparts suddenly much more sense – a system for protecting a rich marketplace that was an easy target for robbers. 
 
 Museum people have pondered why I wonder was an important trading center on the southern Aero, and according to Ole Green is part of the explanation undoubtedly many Muslim wars that ravaged the area around the Mediterranean in the 7th and 8 century. The resulting lawlessness forced the salesman to find alternative routes from the interior Mediterranean and Black Sea – along the Russian rivers and into the Baltic Sea. To avoid the trip north of Jutland, sailed up the river Schlei to Hedeby – and then just south of Aero. From Hedeby cargo was transported over the Jyllands feet and out into the North Sea. 
 
 – We have not found the remains of buildings here on the site, so we expect the beach market has reminded the Lundeborg where you’ve used tents and light booths – the rich settlements that have been linked to the market, have been further inland – safe from attacks from the sea, explains museum director Ole Green.